April 1, 2014

Answering A Question...

 When I wrote my recent tutorial on how to make your own portable
pressing table (here), I mentioned that I used the same heat-reflective
fabric on my applique' boards. I received a question about it that
 I'll answer here, in case anyone else would like the same information.

"Threadlady said...
Great post on making a pressing board. Can you tell me what you 
mean by "applique board". I have never heard of this. Thanks for 
all your posts. I enjoy reading your blog every day."

Thanks for asking! Here's your reply.
I think the "applique' board" is my own invention, so I'm
not too surprised that you haven't heard of it before now. 

This is the base for my applique' boards. I purchased mine at the "J"
store (Jo-ann Fabrics). It has a fabric covering with grids and circles
on it to help square up quilting, knitting and needlework projects.
 Even though it says "Quilter's" on it, I have used them for square blocking other
projects. If you're looking for one for yourself in the store, this is what it's called.
 It's made by June Tailor  - and the best part is that the base (under the
fabric and padding) easily accepts pins for creating applique' pieces using
the freezer paper/starch method. I decided that these boards would work 
great if I used the heat-reflective fabric to cover them to protect the board.
 Another benefit is that this fabric can be wiped clean after each use to
remove any excess starch, and even if it scorches, I can easily and cheaply
 change it out anytime (it gets too hideous-looking) with a new piece of fabric.
 Just as I did with the pressing table, I stretched the silvery fabric over
the board and turned it over so the back side was up. I didn't add any 
extra batting or Insul-Brite for this project. I just used the board as is.

I didn't need to use my heavy duty, construction-grade staple gun here. 
An office stapler holds the fabric just fine and the staples hold securely 
until you want to pull them to switch out a worn piece of fabric for a
shiny, new replacement. I just use a standard staple puller to remove them.
 I didn't really show you how I folded over the fabric on the pressing
table. This might help you envision that a bit better, but if you have
any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to help any way I can.

You can see from my first image, it's easy to assemble all my applique'
supplies on or around my board when I'm ready to make pieces. I take a
shape with the freezer paper on the back side, pin it wrong-side-up to
 the board to secure it and then form it using starch, my stiletto and an iron.

I've tried other work surfaces, but I've found that I often get my stiletto
tangled up in the fabric used on those boards. This little invention of mine
is my favorite. If you are doing applique' and don't have a go-to board yet,
I hope you'll give mine a try. If you do try it, let me know what you think!

I hope this helps, "Threadlady" and others. Thanks again for asking!
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you clarified your applique board. I have one of these June Tailor boards and use it for everything! Thank you for sharing your covering technique. Creative Applique Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a similar board made by Husqvarna with a hard side for measuring and a stuffed fabric side which I use to pin down shapes etc. Right this minute I am using it as a lapbaord to type this post. I have had it for about 5 years and it is brilliant but I have not seen one in a shop for years. Mine was given to me by a very generous friend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna, Thanks so much for answering my question I also have one of these boards. Now I will have to get some of that heat reflective fabric to cover it with. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna